Friday, August 17, 2012

DIY Dipped Wine Glasses


This is a very simple project that ANYONE can do! I have seen some very cool (and very tacky) wine glass art and wanted to try it out. A current trend that you can find on everything from table legs to curtains is the paint dipped look. After looking around Etsy, I couldn't find any paint dipped styles on wine glasses that I liked, so I decided to try it out myself and purchased a couple white wine and red wine glasses from The Christmas Tree Shops. I wanted to try this out on something that was inexpensive so that I wouldn't be afraid to just go to town. Here are the supplies you'll need...

After some research on enamel paints and other glass and acrylic paints, I decided to go with these Martha Stewart multi-surface paints that are safe on glass. The reviews online were very good AND they are dishwasher safe after 21 days.
They come in lots of fun colors and finishes, these are the two I chose in a satin finish...


Begin by applying a strip of masking or painter's tape at the level you want the paint to stop. Make sure you have it completely straight and even with the rest of your glasses. Smooth over the tape to be sure no paint can seep under.

Once your tape is secure you are set to paint! I ended up painting 4 coats. There are still brush strokes visable, but I actually preferred that hand-painted look. The more coats you apply, the less you'll see the brush strokes. Follow the specific instructions on the back of the paint for drying time between coats. 



Also, be sure to place the wine glasses upside down when drying to avoid messing up the paint.

Have fun with this project and don't forget to let them cure 21 days before washing!
 -SQ




1 comment: