Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Chair Re-Do & Money Saving Tip

























I am in no way a reupholstering master, but with a simple paint job and a staple gun anyone can make a quick change to a dining chair.

























I found this beauty at a local thrift store for $4. One leg has a crack in the wood and the laminate on the backing is pulling away. Even though it probably isn't the best candidate, I fell in love with the intricate style and bought it anyway. If I had to do it again I would definitely remove the laminate backing because you can still see it pulling away even with the paint on (a small chair pillow is a good fix); I just look at it as adding to the vintage look:)

My vision was a chair that could add a pop of color in the corner of a room and not necessarily have to support anyone sitting in it. I had a can of turquoise paint laying around so I decided to go with it. I applied two coats and then three coats of a polyurethane top coat.

I purchased the navy material for $1 (yes ONE DOLLAR) at a sidewalk sale for a store owned by a highly sought after interior designer. It was just a scrap, but a scrap from a high quality piece of material and a good find!


























*A great tip for quality material on a budget: Find a local interior designer and see if they would be willing to give you some scraps or old samples laying around. Chances are, they'll be happy to give their scraps to be used on a new project.

     -SQ

2 comments: